This Cajun shrimp and grits recipe will wow everyone at the table! This recipe really is “world famous” and was blessed by Gordon Ramsey himself.
For the grits
- 1 1/2 cup medium or coarse grind cornmeal or grits
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cup seafood stock
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
For the shrimp
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lb 21/30 ct Shrimp, peeled and deveined (tail on optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning (purchased or homemade)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 cup seafood stock (or 1/2 cup seafood stock and 1/2 cup white wine)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- Heat medium pot to high heat. Add seafood stock, milk, and butter. Let it come to a boil. Quickly whisk in cornmeal and reduce the heat to low. Add the salt. Let it simmer until thick, stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice the peppers and yellow onion. Mince the garlic.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Add the peppers, onions, and garlic. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, then season with the Old Bay, smoked paprika, and salt. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes, then add the lemon zest and lemon juice. Pour in the seafood stock and let it simmer 2 to 3 minutes until thickened.
- Add the shrimp on top of the vegetables, working in a clockwise direction (see the video!). Cook until they are just starting to turn pink on one side, about 2 minutes, then use tongs to turn the shrimp and cook until pink and cooked through, about 2 minutes. Drizzle the cream on top, and use tongs to work it in until it’s just incorporated, without stirring. Remove from the heat.
- Once the grits are done, pour in the cream and mix until creamy and incorporated.
- Place the grits into bowls and top with shrimp and spoonfuls of gravy. Garnish with chives.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Southern
Keywords: Shrimp and Grits, Shrimp and Grits Recipe, Best Shrimp and Grits, Cajun Shrimp and Grits