The very best Caesar salad recipe! This stunner has the perfect balance of creamy homemade dressing, crunchy croutons, and crisp lettuce.
For the Caesar dressing (makes 1 cup)
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Caesar salad
- 1 recipe Homemade Croutons
- 3 romaine hearts* (or 1 large head romaine)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese shavings
- For the croutons: Make the Homemade Croutons, but tear the bread into pieces instead of slicing it into cubes.
- For the dressing: While the croutons bake, make the dressing. Grate the garlic, or finely mince it. Grate the Parmesan cheese as finely as possible (it’s helpful to use a microplane or the fine holes on a grater). Juice the lemon. Whisk together all the ingredients in a bowl. Store refrigerated (keeps at least 1 week).
- For the salad: Tear the romaine leaves into pieces (or chop them). Top each salad with Parmesan cheese shavings, croutons, and dressing.
*Romaine hearts are easy to find packaged separately in the produce aisle.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Caesar salad