The slight sweet and vinegary taste of this cabbage and apples recipe makes it the perfect side to a variety of fall and winter main dishes.
- 1 head red cabbage
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 apples
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- Splash of port or sherry
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Thinly slice the onion. Shred the cabbage (using a mandoline, if available). Peel and thinly slice the apples. Mince the garlic.
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Sautee the onion until soft, around 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, apples, garlic, apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, apple cider, caraway seeds, and salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat until the cabbage is tender, around 15 to 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool a bit, and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: German
Keywords: cabbage and apples