Butter beans are protein-packed legumes that make the ideal side dish! This recipe comes out brothy and ultra savory.
- 2 tablespoons salted butter or olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup minced white onion
- 12-ounce package frozen butter beans (or 2 15 ounce cans butter beans, drained and rinsed*)
- 1 14-ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 large fresh basil leaves or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mince the garlic and the onion.
- In an oven-proof saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and white onion and sauté until fragrant and garlic is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add the frozen butter beans, tomatoes, 1 teaspoon of the salt (use 3/4 teaspoon if using canned beans), pepper, bay leaf, basil leaves and water (use 1 cup for canned beans). Bring to a boil, then cover the pan and place it in the oven.
- Bake the beans for 25 to 30 minutes until the beans are tender (or 15 minutes for canned beans). Remove the beans from the pan with a slotted spoon into a serving dish, then add a bit of the broth for serving. Stir in the smoked paprika and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt (omit the added salt if using canned beans). Serve immediately with a slotted spoon. Leftovers keep well refrigerated for up to 4 days.
*You can use canned beans in this recipe: use 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, 1 cup water, and cook 15 minutes.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Butter beans, butter bean recipe