This Brussels sprout casserole is pure bliss! Bake tender sprouts with a white cheddar cheese sauce and top with crunchy breadcrumbs.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, off the stem
- 2 large shallots
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 1/8 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups whole or 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup (about 4 ounces) grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano cheese (or Parmesan cheese, with an extra pinch salt)
- 1/2 cup plain panko (or breadcrumbs)
- Paprika, optional
- Preheat: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Chop: Slice off the tough ends of the Brussels sprouts and cut them into quarters, discarding any discolored outer leaves (cut any very large sprouts into sixths). Thinly slice the shallot. Mince the garlic.
- Sauté: Heat the olive oil in oven-proof skillet or cast iron pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender and fragrant. Add the Brussels sprouts, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and fresh ground black pepper and sauté on medium high heat for 3 minutes. Add 1/4 cup water and continue cooking until tender and starting to brown, another 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce: Grate the white cheddar cheese (if necessary). Measure out the butter, flour, milk, 1/8 teaspoon salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. In a saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat; when it melts, stir in the flour. Heat the mixture for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. When the color starts to turn light brown, immediately reduce the heat to low. Add the milk very slowly: whisking constantly until the mixture is completely smooth before adding more. Then add the salt, onion powder, and garlic powder and continue cooking on low heat for about 2 minutes, whisking frequently. Gradually add the sharp cheddar cheese and Pecorino Romano cheese, and keep stirring until it is fully melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Bake: Stir the cheese sauce into the cooked Brussels sprouts. Sprinkle with panko and bake 20 minutes until golden brown. If desired, dust with a pinch of paprika. Serve warm.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Brussels sprouts casserole