A new and improved take on the classic broccoli salad! Crunchy and savory sweet, it stars broccoli, raisins, and a flavor-popping dressing.
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds broccoli on the stalk, enough for 8 cups florets
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 1 carrot, julienned or grated
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (vegan mayo as needed)
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the topping
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Chop the broccoli into very small florets. Slice the red onion. Stir together with the raisins.
- Whisk together the mayo, apple cider vinegar, sugar, Dijon mustard and salt. Add to the vegetables and mix to combine. Refrigerate for 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld and the broccoli to become soft (you can eat right away but the broccoli is crisp and has less of the traditional texture).
- Meanwhile, place the sunflower seeds, soy sauce, sugar, smoked paprika, and 2 pinches kosher salt in a skillet. Heat over medium low heat and sauté for about 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until they are sticky and most of the liquid is evaporated, taking care that they do not burn and scraping any sticky bits from the bottom of the pan. When they are sticky and darkened in color (and may have clumped together), remove from the heat and spread them onto parchment paper in a single layer and allow them to dry until serving, about 10 minutes.
- When ready to serve, top the salad with the sunflower seeds.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Broccoli Salad, Best Broccoli Salad