This breakfast skillet recipe is a hearty way to start the day! Cook up cheesy eggs and potatoes in a cast iron skillet or any large pan.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 cups (1 pound) frozen shredded hash browns (or 2 medium russet potatoes — see below*)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus a sprinkle more
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs
- For the garnish: Salsa, fresh cilantro (optional)
- Cook the hash browns: Heat the olive oil in a large oven-proof or cast iron skillet and add the hash browns, flipping occasionally until browned. At 6 minutes, add the chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, fennel seeds, and kosher salt. Cook another about 6 minutes until browned, continuing to flip so they don’t stick.
- Add the cheese and eggs: Reduce the heat to low. Add the green onions (reserving a handful for the garnish) and cheese and mix it in. Make divots for the eggs (all the way down to the bare pan) and add 1/4 tablespoon butter into each well. Crack 1 egg into each well, and top each with a pinch of kosher salt. Add a sprinkle of additional shredded cheese on top.
- Cook the eggs on the stovetop: Increase the heat to medium low and cook for 3 minutes on the stove. Meanwhile, preheat the broiler.
- Finish in the broiler: Transfer the skillet to the broiler and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the whites of the eggs are set.
- Serve: Garnish with salsa, the reserved green onions, and fresh cilantro. Serve warm.
*To use russet potatoes, use our Homemade Hash Browns method: Wash the potatoes, leaving the skins on. Use the large side of a box grater or a food processor large grating blade to grate the potatoes. Place the grated potatoes into a large bowl and fill it with cold water. Tip the bowl to drain off starchy water, then fill it again. Stir the potatoes to release starches soak them for 2 minutes. Drain the grated potatoes and squeeze out any excess water. Transfer them to a clean, dry towel. Wring the potatoes in the towel to remove as much liquid as possible. Then cook starting at Step 1 of this recipe.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Breakfast
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Breakfast skillet, breakfast skillet recipe, cast iron breakfast skillet