These healthy breakfast cookies are amazing: no flour, refined sugar or dairy, yet they taste like an oatmeal raisin cookie! Morning win.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter or creamy almond butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 cups Old Fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the applesauce, maple syrup, and peanut butter. Stir in the oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and mix very well to combine into a dough. Add the raisins and stir until combined. The dough will be wetter than you expect, but it’s as intended.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop out 1/4-cup portions of dough and use the palm of your hand to gently shape it into a cookie to about 3/4-inch thick. The cookie won’t spread while baking, so make it the shape you’d like the final cookie. Place it on the prepared baking sheet. If it doesn’t pop right out of the cup, you can remove it with your hands, form it into a ball and then flatten it into a cookie shape with your hands. Again, the dough will be wetter than a normal cookie dough. Repeat to make 11 cookies with the 1/4 cup measure, or make 12 slightly smaller cookies. Press a few extra raisins into the tops of any cookies that seem sparse.
- Bake until the cookies are golden and firm, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool on the pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack and cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes. The texture becomes softer during storage. Leftover breakfast cookies will store in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 5 days, in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, and in the freezer for up to 3 months (you can wrap individually in foil if you like or place in a freezer proof container).
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Breakfast
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Breakfast cookies, breakfast cookie recipe, oatmeal breakfast cookies, healthy breakfast cookies