This genius breakfast burrito recipe is irresistibly satisfying and so easy to whip up! It’s got two layers of eggs for massive savory flavor.
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon each chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 mashed avocado, divided
- 1/4 cup purchased pico de gallo, drained and divided
- 2 10-inch large tortillas (burrito size)
- In one medium bowl, whisk together 2 eggs with the chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and 1/8 teaspoon of the salt. In another medium bowl, whisk 2 eggs with 1/8 teaspoon of the salt, then add the shredded cheese.
- In a skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon butter. Add the first bowl of eggs and cook over medium low heat, scraping as the eggs solidify, about 1 to 2 minutes total. As you scrape, they’ll start to form together into a meat-like texture. Remove the cooked eggs to a plate. Then add 1/2 tablespoon butter to the pan and do the same thing to cook the second bowl of cheesy eggs.
- Bring the tortillas to room temperature or lightly warm them in the microwave: this helps them to not break when wrapping the burritos.
- Place the tortilla on a cutting board. Place the toppings in the center of the tortilla: a sprinkle of cheese (optional but can help reduce sogginess of the tortilla), the spiced eggs and the cheesy eggs, 2 tablespoons of the drained pico de gallo, and the 1/2 mashed avocado. Fold the tortilla in half over the filling, then tuck it around and underneath the filling, forming a tight roll. Fold in each side of the burrito, then roll it up. Repeat with the other burrito. Cut in half and serve. (You can freeze the leftover burrito if you like. Let the egg filling come to room temperature first. Place a foil wrapper under the tortilla before you roll it. Roll it up and freeze for up to 1 month. Reheat in the foil in a 350 degree oven until warmed through, about 15 minutes or so.)
- Toast the burrito (optional): Add a bit of butter to a skillet, and add the wrapped burrito. Cook on medium high heat for about 1 minute until golden, then flip and toast the other side for another minute.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Burrito
- Cuisine: Mexican inspired
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Breakfast burrito, Breakfast burrito recipe