Here’s how to make the very best braised vegetables, a cozy and healthy side dish that tastes like it’s been roasting all day!
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 large carrots
- 2 celery ribs
- 4 medium waxy red potatoes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, tarragon and thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Cut the onions into large strips. Peel and slice the carrots. Slice the celery. Dice the potatoes into bite-sized chunks (no need to peel). Peel the garlic, leaving it whole.
- In an oven-proof Dutch oven or cast iron pan with a lid, heat the olive oil on the stovetop over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the carrots and celery and cook 2 minutes until browned. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the potatoes, garlic, oregano, tarragon, thyme, kosher salt, and balsamic vinegar. Add the water and cover the pot.
- Place the pot in the oven and cook for 45 to 55 minutes, until the largest vegetables are tender.
- When the vegetables are done, remove them to a platter using a slotted spoon. Return the pot to the stovetop and simmer the pan juices for 5 minutes until they are reduced by about half. Drizzle the juices over the vegetables and serve.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Braised
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: Braised vegetables