Blueberry oatmeal is quick and extraordinarily delicious! Impress everyone with this bright, berry-flavored breakfast recipe.
- 1 tablespoon salted butter or coconut oil
- 1 cup Old Fashioned rolled oats (do not use instant oats or steel cut oats)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (2% or oat milk)
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen*
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For topping: maple syrup, fresh blueberries, sliced almonds, milk
- Melt the butter or coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the oats and toast for about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often, until fragrant.
- Turn the heat to low and carefully pour in the water, milk, blueberries, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, salt, and vanilla extract, stirring. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 to 7 minutes until thickened and the oats are tender, smashing the blueberries with the back of a large spoon as you stir. (Try to smash the majority of the berries to give the oatmeal its purple color.)
- Remove from the heat. Top with desired toppings and serve.
*Frozen blueberries can tend to bleed their color, which is not desirable for baked goods. But since you do want purple blueberry oatmeal, it’s the perfect place to use frozen berries! You do not need to thaw them before using: the heat of the pan will defrost them quickly.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Breakfast
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Blueberry oatmeal