This blueberry crumble recipe is a favorite! The nostalgic summer dessert stars a sweet tart fruit filling topped with buttery crumbles.
- 4 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen*)
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (or vegan butter)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make the filling: In a medium bowl, mix the blueberries, 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, allspice, and lemon zest. Pour into a round 9-inch pie pan, 9 x 9 inch baking dish or 7 x 11 baking dish.
- Make the topping: In a medium bowl, add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, flour, baking powder and kosher salt. Mix together with a fork. Pour in the melted butter while mixing with the fork until a crumbly mixture forms. Use your fingers to sprinkle the crumbles evenly over the filling.
- Bake: Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until the top is evenly golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Cool for 1 hour, then serve. You can leave it out on the counter for up to 1 day (covered, at night) so the topping can stay crisp. After 1 day, refrigerate any leftovers. It also freezes well for several months in a sealed container; reheat it in a 350 degree oven until bubbly.
*No need to defrost frozen berries before using. Note that storebought frozen berries can be a little more tart than fresh berries; if desired, add a hint more sugar to the filling (to taste).
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Dessert
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Blueberry crumble, blueberry crumble recipe