This easy blueberry cake recipe is stunning: it’s fluffy, lightly sweet, and scented with lemon. Perfect for summer evenings or brunch!
- 1 1/4 cups plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 2/3 cup firmly packed cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest plus 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Powdered sugar (optional), for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Butter an 8 or 9-inch springform pan or round cake pan, then dust it with flour. If using a cake pan, line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Place the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl and use a fork to thoroughly mix the ingredients together.
- Use your hands to make a hole in the center of the dry ingredients. Into the hole, crack the egg and add the olive oil, yogurt, applesauce, vanilla, and lemon zest. Use a fork to mix the ingredients together until smooth and blended.
- In another bowl, mix the blueberries with the lemon juice and 1 teaspoon flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the blueberries in a single layer on the top (no need to press them down).
- Bake until the cake 35 to 40 minutes (ours took 37 minutes), until golden brown on top and a toothpick in the enter comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave on the counter to cool completely, 1 hour. If using a springform pan, remove the sides (if using a cake pan, you can leave in the pan or remove it). If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into pieces and serve. If desired, serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Blueberry cake, Lemon blueberry cake, Blueberry breakfast cake