Here are all the best Bloody Mary variations to try! These types are the most popular riffs on this classic brunch cocktail.
- 8 ounces (1 cup) liquor:
- Vodka for the Classic and Spicy Bloody Mary
- Tequila for the Bloody Maria
- Gin for the Red Snapper
- Omit for the Virgin Mary
- 2 cups tomato juice, chilled
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (vegan as desired)
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Ice, for serving (try clear ice!)
- For the rim: Old Bay seasoning (purchased or homemade) and kosher salt
- For the garnish: celery, lemon wedge, olive, cocktail onion (use cocktail picks if desired)
- If time allows, chill the tomato juice and alcohol. Shake the tomato juice before pouring.
- For spicy only: Slice the jalapeño pepper into thin slices. If you prefer a more subtle heat, remove the seeds. (Wash your hands well afterward.)
- In a large cocktail shaker, combine the tomato juice, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, Tabasco, celery salt and black pepper (and jalapeno slices if making the spicy variation). Shake well to combine (without ice). Strain into a quart mason jar or small pitcher.
- Optional: If time, chill at least 1 hour or overnight for the best flavor. (Or, make ahead and store up to 1 week.) But you also can serve right away!
- To serve, on a plate place a mixture of roughly half kosher salt and half Old Bay seasoning (or celery salt). Cut a notch in a lemon wedge, then run it around the rim of a glass. Dip the edge of the rim into a plate of salt.
- To each glass, add 2 ounces (1/4 cup) of alcohol (or omit for virgin) and 1/2 cup of Bloody Mary mix and stir gently to combine. Fill the glass with ice and add the garnishes.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Stirred
- Cuisine: Cocktails
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Bloody Mary Variations