Swap out the vodka in a Bloody Mary for tequila, and you’ve got the Bloody Maria! This simple change makes for a Mexican style spin on the drink.
- 2 cups tomato juice, chilled
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (vegan as desired)
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican hot sauce (like Cholula)
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup (8 ounces) tequila, chilled
- Ice, for serving (try clear ice!)
- For the rim: Old Bay seasoning (purchased or homemade) or chili powder, kosher salt
- For the garnish: celery stalk, lime wedge, pickled pepper or jalapeno, cocktail onion (use cocktail picks if desired)
- If time allows, chill the tomato juice and tequila. Shake the tomato juice before pouring.
- In a large cocktail shaker, combine the tomato juice, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, hot sauce, celery salt and black pepper. Shake well to combine (without ice). Strain into a quart mason jar or small pitcher.
- Optional: If time, chill at least 1 hour or overnight for the best flavor. (Or, make ahead and store up to 1 week.) But you also can serve right away!
- To serve, on a plate place a mixture of roughly half kosher salt and half Old Bay seasoning (or chili powder). Cut a notch in a lime wedge, then run it around the rim of a glass. Dip the edge of the rim into a plate of salt.
- To each glass, add 2 ounces (1/4 cup) of tequila and 1/2 cup of Bloody Maria mix and stir gently to combine. Fill the glass with ice and add the garnishes. Squeeze in the lime wedge before serving.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Stirred
- Cuisine: Cocktails
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Bloody Maria, Bloody Maria cocktail