This black bean burger recipe is hearty and satisfying! Pile ’em high with toppings for a meal that pleases everyone.
- 2 cans black beans, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 garlic cloves (1 tablespoon minced)
- 1 cup finely diced yellow onion (1/2 onion)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 cup panko
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg
- Cheese slices, for serving (optional)
- For serving: Buns, guacamole, Burger Sauce or Chipotle Sauce, pickles, red onion, tomato, ketchup
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Mince the garlic and finely chop the onion, making sure the pieces are small (avoid random large ones which can break up the texture). In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the the onion and sauté for 3 minutes, then add the garlic and sauté for for 2 more minutes until golden and translucent. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, mash the black beans with a fork, keeping some whole– the texture should be mostly mashed with chunks and whole beans remaining. Add the sauteed onion and garlic, cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, soy sauce, ketchup, panko, chopped walnuts, kosher salt, and egg. Mix to combine until a dough forms.
- Use a 1/2 cup measuring cup to portion the dough into patties: 7 burgers with a full 1/2 cup or 8 burgers measuring a scant 1/2 cup. Shake the patty out of the measuring cup, then place it on a parchment lined baking sheet and gently press it until it’s 3/4” thick. When the dough starts to stick to the cup, wash out the measuring cup.
- Place the burgers in the oven. Bake 15 minutes on one side, then flip and bake 15 minutes on the other side. If using, add cheese slices and bake 3 minutes more until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately or wait about 10 to 15 minutes until the burgers firm up. Place on a bun spread with guacamole and layered with pickles, ketchup red onion and tomato. Leftover burgers last well refrigerated up to 5 days. Or freeze leftovers for up to 3 months, stacked with parchment paper in between each in a sealed container. Reheat or grill prior to serving (see below).
- Alternative grilling instructions: If you plan to grill the burgers, first bake the burgers for 20 minutes: 10 minutes per side. Then grill the burgers over medium high heat for about 5 minutes per side.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Black bean burger recipe, black bean burger