This beet greens recipe is the best way to turn them into a healthy meal! You won’t believe the flavor in this hearty Parmesan omelette. Read the entire recipe before starting!
For the omelette (1 serving)*
- 2 cups chopped beet greens (and thin sliced tender stems)*
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Chop the beet greens. Mince the garlic.
- Saute the filling: In small 8-inch nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the greens and cook for about 1 minute. Just before tender, add the garlic, Parmesan cheese, and 1 pinch kosher salt and cook until just bright green. Remove from the heat, and remove the greens to a bowl.
- In another small bowl, whisk the eggs, 1/2 teaspoon water, 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt, and a few grinds of black pepper until fully combined, about 20 seconds.
- Cook the omelette (takes about 1 minute total): Heat the same nonstick skillet over just below high heat, with the pan handle facing towards you. Add the butter and swirl the pan to fully coat. Wait until the butter starts to become foamy with large bubbles, then pour in eggs. When a skin just starts to form (10 to 15 seconds), add the greens in a line from left to right.
- Run a small spatula under the far edge of the omelette to release it from the pan. Start to pull the eggs up and shake and tilt the pan to spread out any uncooked egg and allow it to cook. Using the spatula, roll the eggs up and over the cheese. Cook another 10 to 15 seconds until just barely set. The outside should be a pale golden and the inside soft and creamy (for a harder cooked omelette, you can cook it several seconds longer). Turn off the heat.
- Flip the omelette out of the pan: Hold a plate in one hand. Pick up the pan with your right hand, thumb up, and quickly turn the pan upside down over the plate so that the omelette rolls off onto the middle of the plate, folding over itself into a rolled shape. Serve immediately.
*This makes 1 omelette — double, triple, or quadruple as desired.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: Beet Green Recipe, Omelette Recipe, Parmesan Omelette, Beet Green Omelette, what to do with beet greens