The best vegan tacos? In just 20 minutes jackfruit turns into a plant based version of pulled pork carnitas. These jackfruit tacos will amaze you!
For the jackfruit
- 2 15-ounce cans green jackfruit in water or brine
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup water
For the tacos
- Rinse and drain the jackfruit in a colander, pressing down to extract as much water as possible. Run your hands through the pieces, pulling and separating them into shreds with your fingers.
- Mince the onion. Mince the garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute for 3 to 4 minutes until tender and fragrant, but before the garlic browns. Add the jackfruit and remaining ingredients (add 1 tablespoon of adobo sauce for a mild recipe, up to 1 1/2 or 2 tablespoons for a spicier recipe). Cook for about 5 minutes on medium low heat until saucy.
- If desired, char the tortillas by placing them on an open gas flame on medium for a few seconds per side, flipping with tongs, until they are slightly blackened and warm. (See How to Warm Tortillas.)
- To serve, place the jackfruit, romaine, salsa fresca, and torn cilantro leaves in a warmed tortilla. Serve immediately with refried beans.
*To keep the meal filling enough (since jackfruit doesn’t have much protein), make sure to serve with refried beans! We tested serving them in the tacos, but found that the jackfruit flavor didn’t come through as well.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican Inspired
Keywords: Jackfruit tacos, Best jackfruit tacos, jackfruit pulled pork tacos, where can i buy jackfruit, where is jackfruit from