This really is the best apple pie recipe. It’s got flaky lattice pie crust and a tender, perfectly spiced apple filling. Prepare to be amazed!
For the crust
- 11 tablespoons frozen unsalted butter
- 2 cups Baker’s Corner All Purpose Flour (260 grams)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup cool water
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 ice cubes
For the filling
- 8 small organic cooking apples (2 1/2 pounds), such as Gala
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground Simply Nature Organic Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the glaze
- 1/4 cup Specially Selected 100% Pure Maple Syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Make the pie dough: Freeze the butter at least 30 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, use a spatula to stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt (using a food scale to weigh out the flour, if you have one). In a small bowl, mix the water, lemon juice, and ice.
- Use a grater or microplane to large grate the butter into the bowl with the dry ingredients (it will look like shredded cheese!). Then stir it gently with a spatula to coat the butter with flour. Add 3 tablespoons of the lemon ice water and stir with the spatula to combine. Add 3 more tablespoons and stir again. Add up to 3 more tablespoons and use your hands to gently knead until a ball of dough is formed. You may need to add a little more water a tablespoon at a time so that the flour is just incorporated. Divide the dough into two equal balls. Place in a covered container and refrigerate while you’re making the filling. (You can also make the dough in advance. See the notes below!)
- Preheat the oven: Place a baking sheet on the middle rack of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees.
- Make the filling; Peel and core the apples, then thinly slice them about 1/8 inch thick (see the “How to slice apples” section above). Place the apples in a large pot with lid or Dutch oven. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Stir into the apples. Then stir in the peeled and grated ginger, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla. Cover and cook over medium heat for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened slightly and liquid is thickened. Remove from the heat and remove the lid.
- Roll out the dough: If you have a pastry cloth, set it up and dust it with flour; otherwise, flour a clean work surface. Put on a rolling pin cover (optional), and coat the pin in extra flour. Remove one ball of dough from refrigerator and roll it evenly from the center to the edge, until the dough is a large circle about 1/8-inch thick. If it starts to get sticky, dust lightly with flour. Rest the dough for 3 minutes. Then trim the dough to an even 12-inch circle with a pizza cutter (this corresponds to the 9-inch circle on the pastry cloth).
- Add the filling: Gently place the dough into center of the pie plate, using the rolling pin to transfer it. Use your fingers to press the pastry into the form of the pie pan. Then fold the excess dough around the edges under itself, so that it sits evenly on the rim of the pie plate (see photos above). Spoon the apple filling into the pie plate, discarding any remaining liquid at the bottom of the pot. Place the pie into the freezer while rolling out the lattice topping.
- Make the lattice: Roll out the second dough ball into an 11” x 14” rectangle (it will be intentionally slightly thinner than the previous dough). Rest 3 minutes. Then use a straight edge to cut it into 7 strips, where each strip is 11” x 2”.
- Weave the lattice: Remove the pie plate from freezer. Carefully lay out 4 strips of dough in same direction on the pie (see the “How to make a lattice pie crust” above). Be careful to place the strips down without stretching. Weave the strips together to create the lattice with the remaining 3 strips.
- Bake & glaze the pie (3 steps): Place the pie on the preheated baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees. Reduce the heat to 375 degrees and bake for 30 minutes. About 5 minutes before the 30 minute timer goes off, make the maple glaze: In a small pot add the maple syrup and cinnamon. Heat over medium heat until bubbles just start to appear (about 2 minutes). Turn off the heat. Remove the pie from the oven and brush an even layer of the maple glaze (leftover glaze can be discarded). Bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown and bubbly. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Allow to cool for at least 1 hour until warm, or a few hours until it is room temperature. Then slice into pieces and enjoy! The pie is best eaten the day it is made. For make ahead and reheating instructions, see below.
Make ahead / reheating instructions: Pie is best eaten the day of making it. You can make the pie dough in advance: make it up to 3 days ahead, wrap well and refrigerate. Or, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze it for up to 3 months. When ready to use, remove from the freezer and let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight or up to 24 hours.
Store leftovers at room temperature loosely covered with foil, plastic wrap, or with an overturned bowl. Reheat at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. When reheated, the glaze will not be shiny like after the original bake, but leftovers still taste fantastic!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Best Apple Pie Recipe, Apple Pie, Apple Pie Recipe