These plant-based BBQ bean tacos with pineapple salsa are a delicious fast and easy dinner recipe! They’re on the table in less than 30 minutes.
- 2 15-ounce cans pinto beans
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3/4 cup organic ketchup (or with natural sugars)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 20-ounce can (11/2 cups) pineapple chunks packed in juice* (or substitute Mango Salsa)
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro, plus additional for garnish
- 1 small green cabbage
- 3 radishes
- 1 lime (wedges for squeezing)
- Tortillas, for serving
- Drain both cans of beans (no need to rinse). In a large skillet, place the beans, mustard, maple syrup, ketchup, garlic powder, chili powder, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Heat on low until thickened and warm, while making the remainder of the recipe.
- Drain the pineapple and finely chop it. Mince the red onion, and chop the cilantro. Mix the pineapple, red onion and cilantro together with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Thinly slice the green cabbage and radishes. Slice the lime into wedges.
- If desired, char the tortillas by placing them on an open gas flame on medium for a few seconds per side, flipping with tongs, until they are slightly blackened and warm.
- To serve, place the beans in a tortilla, then add cabbage, radishes and a squeeze of lime (important, do not omit!). Top with pineapple salsa and additional cilantro if desired.
*Note: For the pineapple, we found that canned worked best. We tried with cored and peeled whole pineapple that is sold packaged in some groceries, and it was a bit too sweet for our taste; the canned pineapple has a sour edge that is a nice contrast in the salsa. We have not tried with fresh pineapple, and would love to hear from anyone who tries it this way. If you do try fresh pineapple, reference our video instructions How to Cut a Pineapple.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: vegan tacos, vegetarian tacos, bean tacos, bbq bean tacos, how to make tacos