Quick and easy, this bright green basil oil drizzle is perfect for drizzling over fresh vegetables, eggs, or french fries. Here’s how to make basil oil.
- 1 cup basil leaves, packed
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Start a small pot of water to boil. Prepare a bowl of ice water.
- Remove the basil leaves from the stem and wash them; measure out 1 packed cup of leaves (make sure to pack the cup full for the best flavor). Once the water is boiling, add the basil and boil for 1 minute. Immediately turn off the heat, remove the basil and plunge it into the ice bath.
- Once the leaves are cool, remove them from the water and squeeze out as much excess water as possible, then dry them with a paper towel. (At this point the leaves will have wilted and reduced to a very small handful.)
- Place the blanched basil, olive oil, salt and pepper in a blender or in the cup for an immersion blender; blend until fully combined. Taste, and add additional salt if desired. Pour into a sealable container. Use immediately or refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- Category: Essential
- Method: Blended
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Basil oil, Basil drizzle, How to make basil oil, Basil oil uses