These thin French pancakes are surprisingly fun to make, once you get the hang of it! Here’s how to make basic crepes, and a few ideas on to enjoy them.
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (or buckwheat flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 8-inch skillet and chopstick, for cooking
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Vigorously whisk in 2 eggs, 3/4 cups milk, and 1 1/2 tablespoons oil until smooth.
- Assemble your crepe making station with an 8-inch skillet, plate, a towel or piece of wax paper, chopstick, bowl of batter, and 1/4 cup measure.
- Cook the crepes: Heat an 8-inch skillet to medium low heat and lightly oil it with a paper towel. Pour in just under 1/4 cup batter and rotate the pan so that the batter covers the pan (see the video above). Wait for about 30 seconds until the crepe cooked. Use the chopstick to loosen the edges of the crepe, then flip it and cook for another 15 seconds on the other side. Place the cooked crepe on the plate, and cover with a towel. (Tip: If you’ve never cooked crepes before, you may need to scrap one or two before you get the hang of it. You also may need to reduce the heat mid-way through the cooking, and/or oil the skillet again.)
- Category: Essentials
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: Basic Crepes, Crepes Recipe, Vegetarian Dinner Recipe, Dessert Recipe