This barley salad is irresistibly fresh and tasty! Pair the whole grain with crunchy veggies and cover in a lemon and olive oil dressing.
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced into quarters
- 1 bell pepper, diced (or 1/2 yellow and 1/2 red)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley or mix of herbs (we used parsley and basil)
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbles (omit for vegan and add more salt to taste)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, plus zest of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Place the barley in a saucepan or pot with 3 cups water and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer 25 to 30 minutes (or 45 to 1 hour if using hulled barley; you can add more water if the pan becomes dry).
- Drain any excess water. Place the barley in a single layer on a baking sheet and allow to cool for a few minutes (pop it in the freezer for 2 minutes to speed up the process and get the grains to room temperature).
- Meanwhile, mince the garlic and slice the shallot. Slice the cherry tomatoes in quarters. Dice the bell pepper. Chop the dill and mint.
- When the barley is done resting, place it in a large bowl with the chopped vegetables and herbs. Add the feta cheese crumbles, lemon juice and zest, the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and a few grinds of black pepper. Mix gently to combine.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 5 days (flavor is best right away but tastes great after refrigeration; you may need to revive the flavors with a pinch or two of salt).
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Barley salad