Here’s your go-to banana pancakes recipe! They’re massively fluffy, delicious, and quick and easy to whip up.
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe banana* (about 3 small, 2 medium or 1 extra large)
- 1 large egg (or flax egg for vegan)
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 3/4 cup milk of choice (2% or non-dairy milk)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour**
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- To serve: almond butter, banana slices, honey or maple syrup
- In a medium bowl, mash the banana and measure it out. Whisk in the egg, neutral oil, and milk.
- In a separate bowl bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, cinnamon, baking powder, sugar, and kosher salt.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until a smooth, thick batter forms. (If needed, you can add another tablespoon of milk to get it to a pourable consistency, but you shouldn’t need it for the first batch.)
- Lightly grease a skillet with butter and wipe off extra grease with a paper towel. Heat the skillet over low heat. Pour the batter into small circles: about 1/4 cup each. Cook the pancakes until the bubbles pop on the top and the bottoms are golden: low and slow is the key! Then flip them and cook until golden on the other side.
- If necessary, add a tiny splash of milk to the batter for the second batch so it comes to a pourable consistency. Repeat with the remaining batter, adjusting the heat as necessary (the skillet can get very hot on the second batch). Place the cooked pancakes under an inverted bowl to keep them warm. Serve immediately with desired toppings.
*Typically 1 small banana equals 1/4 cup mashed, and 1 large is 1/2 cup mashed. You can make this recipe with 1/2 cup mashed banana if that’s all you have. Just add about 2 more tablespoons milk to the batter so it comes to a pourable consistency before cooking. You can also increase to 1 cup mashed banana for a more intense banana flavor, and use the same principles.
*For gluten free banana pancakes, go to Banana Oatmeal Pancakes.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Breakfast
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Banana pancakes, banana pancakes recipe