This banana nut muffins recipe is outstanding: moist, nutty and perfectly sweet! It will become a family favorite.
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (or substitute pecans)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups mashed banana (about 3 large or 4 medium)
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Turbinado sugar, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Add 12 muffin cups to a muffin tin.
- Toast the walnuts: Chop the nuts. Place the nuts in a dry skillet (no oil) over medium heat. Heat, shaking the pan and stirring often with a wooden spoon, until the nuts are fragrant and slightly darker brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stay at the stove because the nuts can easily burn! Remove immediately from the heat and transfer to a plate to stop the cooking.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the all-purpose flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt.
- In another medium bowl, mash the banana. Whisk in the egg, granulated sugar, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients using a spatula, and stir until a smooth batter forms. Avoid the urge to overmix. Gently fold in 1/2 cup of the walnuts. Divide the batter evenly into the muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops with the reserved 1/4 cup walnuts (split between all) and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake the muffins for 15 minutes, until puffed and golden on top. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a rack to cool fully, about 1 hour. Store up to 4 days in a sealed container at room temperature, refrigerated up to 1 week or more (allow to come to room temperature before serving), or frozen up to 3 months.
- Category: Muffin
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Banana nut muffins, banana nut muffin, banana nut muffin recipe, banana nut muffins recipe