This baked apples recipe is an easy, cozy fall dessert! Stuff the fruit with oats, spices, and brown sugar and bake until tender.
- 6 medium crisp-tart cooking apples (like Pink Lady, Honeycrisp, Golden Delicious,
Granny Smith, Jonathon or Jonagold, Ida Red, etc*)
- 1/2 cup Old Fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Maple syrup, for serving
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Bring water to boil in a tea kettle.
- Remove the core of each apple with a paring knife: cut a funnel shape from top of the apple to about 2/3 of the way down. Remove and discard the seeds and core.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the rolled oats, flour, pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, kosher salt, and melted butter. Spoon the filling into the apples.
- Place the apples in a small baking dish. Cover the bottom of the dish with about 1/4” of the boiling water.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then cover loosely with foil. Bake 15 to 20 minutes until tender when pierced with a knife, but not mushy (or more, if necessary).
- Drizzle each apple with maple syrup, and if desired serve with vanilla ice cream. Serve with a knife and fork.
*The best varieties for this recipe are sweet tart in flavor with a crisp texture.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Dessert
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Baked apples, baked apples recipe, baked apple recipe, baked apple