Here’s how to make the best baked apple oatmeal! This irresistible breakfast recipe pairs the sweet fruit with cinnamon, allspice and maple.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 apple, cut into small cubes
- 1 large egg (or flax egg for vegan)
- 2 cups milk or non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup, plus 1 tablespoon for drizzling
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon salted butter (coconut oil, for vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.*
- Butter an 8 x 8″ or 9 x 9″ pan. In a medium bowl, mix together the rolled oats, pecan pieces, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, and kosher salt.
- Dump the dries into the prepared pan. Add the diced apple in a layer on top.
- In the same bowl, whisk the egg, then add the milk, maple syrup, and vanilla. Slowly drizzle the milk mixture over the oats. Shake the pan to make sure it gets evenly incorporated.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes until the top is nicely golden and the oat mixture has set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes (or more for the texture to fully set).
- Before serving, melt the butter with the remaining 1 tablespoon maple syrup (in the microwave or on the stove). Drizzle the butter evenly over the top and serve. Store leftovers refrigerated for up to 1 week: reheat in a 300 degree oven or microwave until warm.
*Make ahead instructions: do not make the entire pan in advance and refrigerate overnight because the oats will absorb all the liquid. You can mix up the wets and dries separately and store in separate containers (with the wets refrigerated), then pour them together in the morning and bake.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Baked apple oatmeal