This asparagus quiche is a total showstopper! Smoked mozzarella and feta make an irresistible filling for the flaky pastry crust.
For the quiche crust*
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 to 6 tablespoons ice water
For the asparagus quiche
- 4 ounces asparagus (about 8 thin stalks)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 3 ounces (about 3/4 cup) smoked mozzarella or smoked gouda, grated
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- Make the quiche crust: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, kosher salt, and baking powder. Slice the butter into pieces, then cut it into the flour mixture using a pastry blender until a coarse meal texture is obtained. Sprinkle the ice water over the flour 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing gradually with fork until the dough sticks together. Add additional water by the tablespoon until the dough comes together but is not sticky. Form the dough into a ball.
- Roll out and freeze the dough: If you have a pastry cloth, set it up and dust it with flour; otherwise, flour a clean work surface. Put on a rolling pin cover (optional), and either way, dust the pin in flour. Roll the dough to an even 12-inch circle (which corresponds to the 9-inch pie pan). Use a rolling pin to transfer the dough to the pie pan (make sure it is standard and not deep dish). Fold the overhanging dough backwards and seal it to form a rim. Then press it with the tines of a fork to decorate the edges (see the photos). Use a fork to gently prick holes in the bottom and sides of the crust (this helps it to not puff up while blind baking). Freeze the crust for 10 minutes before blind baking.
- Blind bake the crust: Remove the dough from the freezer and place a sheet of parchment paper on top of the crust. Fill the dough with pie weights (we used two sets of these), dry beans, or dry rice. Bake for 15 minutes, then carefully remove the parchment and weights and bake additional 8 minutes until the bottom is lightly browned. Remove from the oven and go to Step 5.
- Saute the asparagus: Meanwhile, wash the asparagus and trim off the ends. Cut the stalks into bite-sized pieces. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the asparagus, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and a few grind black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the largest pieces are tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. This depends on the thickness and maturity of the asparagus, so it’s different every time! Taste and remove when it’s just tender and still bright green, but not crunchy.
- Reduce the oven heat: When the crust is done blind baking, remove it from the oven and reduce the heat of the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make the filling: In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and several grinds black pepper. Place the grated smoked mozzarella cheese in bottom of the crust. Pour the egg mixture over the top. Sprinkle the sauteed asparagus and feta cheese crumbles.
- Bake: Bake 40 to 50 minutes minutes, until the center is set and the top is lightly browned. Cool at least two hours. It’s easiest to make the night before, so you can refrigerate until serving. Re-warm in a 200 degree oven for 20 minutes. (You can also serve it cold.) Leftovers stay for 5 days refrigerated.
*You can also use a storebought pastry crust to shortcut some time. You’ll still need to blind bake the crust, so start with Step 3.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Asparagus quiche, asparagus quiche recipe