This applesauce pancakes recipe comes out moist and cozy-spiced! Using fruit puree makes for the perfect fluffy flapjacks.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg (or flax egg for vegan)
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 2/3 cup milk of choice (2% or non-dairy milk)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all purpose flour, cinnamon, allspice (if using), baking powder, sugar, and kosher salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, oil, applesauce, and milk.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until a smooth, thick batter forms.
- Lightly grease a skillet with butter and wipe off extra grease with a paper towel. Heat the skillet over low heat. Pour the batter into small circles (a little less than 1/4 cup each). Cook the pancakes until the bubbles pop on the top and the bottoms are golden: low and slow is the key! Then flip them and cook until golden on the other side.
- If necessary, add a tiny splash of milk to the batter. Repeat with the remaining batter, adjusting the heat as necessary (the skillet can get very hot on the second batch). Place the cooked pancakes under an inverted bowl to keep them warm. Serve immediately with maple syrup.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Pancakes
Keywords: Applesauce pancakes