This applesauce bread recipe is the best quick bread! It’s unbelievably tasty, cozy spiced and covered in an easy icing drizzle.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup Old Fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs (for vegan, use flax eggs)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup neutral oil (organic vegetable, canola or grapeseed)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 recipe Powdered Sugar Icing (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an 8 or 9-inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, applesauce, oil, and vanilla extract. Add dry ingredients and stir until just combined and a smooth dough forms.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Bake 55 to 65 minutes, until it feels solid and a toothpick comes out mostly clean with some clinging crumbs, or the internal temperature reaches 200 degrees Fahrenheit. The exact timing will depend on the size of the pan.
- Cool the bread in the pan for 15 minutes. Then run a knife around the edge and invert the loaf onto a cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Or if desired, allow to cool fully to room temperature (about 1 hour), then use a fork to drizzle with Powdered Sugar Icing. Storage info: The bread lasts 4 to 5 days at room temperature wrapped in aluminum foil, refrigerated for 10 days, or frozen for 3 months (slice it into pieces and wrap it in plastic wrap then a freezer-safe bag or container).
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Quick Bread
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Applesauce bread, Applesauce bread recipe