This apple galette recipe is an easy version of apple pie! Apples and pomegranate seeds are beautifully arranged onto a free-form flaky whole wheat crust.
- 1 whole wheat galette dough
- 1 pomegranate
- 3 medium tart firm cooking apples (Jonathan, Granny Smith, etc — we used Jonathon)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
- Before you assemble the pie, make the whole wheat galette dough (or make it in advance and freeze it).
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Remove the seeds from the pomegranate and reserve 1/4 cup seeds. Slice 3 unpeeled apples into ⅛-inch thick slices.
- In a bowl, combine the apple slices, lemon juice,honey, cinnamon, ginger, kosher salt, and freshly grated nutmeg. Stir gently to combine.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. On a floured surface, roll the dough into a rough circle about 12 inches across. Place the dough on the parchment paper. Arrange the apples in a large circle on top of the dough, overlapping and leaving about 1-inch of space around the edge of the dough. Make several smaller circles of apples, reversing direction after each, working your way towards the center. Sprinkle the pomegranate seeds over the apples. Fold the edge of the dough over the apples.
- Melt the butter and brush it over the top of the dough and apples. Bake until the crust is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Allow to cool several minutes before serving.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: Apple Galette, Galette, Apple Pie, Apple Dessert, Apples, Naturally Sweet, Honey, Whole Wheat Crust, Pie Crust