This apple crumble recipe is really the best! Cozy and classic, it stars a golden, crunchy topping over a layer of warm-spiced fruit.
- 2 pounds sweet tart crisp cooking apples, about 6 cups diced (like Pink Lady, Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, Jonathon or Jonagold)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (or vegan butter)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Core, peel and dice the apples into 1/2-inch chunks. Combine the apples with the lemon juice, cornstarch, granulated sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the cinnamon, ginger, and allspice in a large bowl and toss until well coated. Pour into a round 9-inch pie pan, 9 x 9 inch baking dish or 7 x 11 baking dish.
- Make the topping: In a medium bowl, add the flour, brown sugar, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, baking powder and kosher salt. Mix together with a fork. Pour in the melted butter while mixing with the fork until a crumbly mixture forms. Use your fingers to sprinkle the crumbles evenly over the filling.
- Bake: Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until the top is evenly golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Cool for 1 hour, then serve. Store at room temperature covered for 1 day, refrigerated for 4 days, or frozen for up to 3 months. Reheat in a 350 degree oven until bubbly.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Apple crumble, apple crumble recipe, recipe for apple crumble