This healthy chili recipe is full of good-for-you ingredients and big flavor, featuring a trio of beans, quinoa, and lots of hearty spices.
- 3/4 cup Simply Nature Organic Quinoa
- 2 small or 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup Simply Nature Organic Ketchup
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup water
- 3 15-ounce cans Simply Nature Organic Beans (we did 1 can each black, pinto and kidney), drained
- 2 28-ounce cans Simply Nature Organic Diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, vegan if desired
- 2 tablespoons ground Simply Nature Flax Seed (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Optional: 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle chilis)*
- To garnish: Sour cream or Greek yogurt (or Cashew Cream for vegan), Mexican blend shredded cheese, and Southern Grove Pepitas
- Cook the quinoa: Place the quinoa in a saucepan with 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to very low. Cover the pot, and simmer where the water is just bubbling for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the water has been completely absorbed. (Check by pulling back the quinoa with a fork to see if water remains.) Turn off the heat and let sit covered to steam for 5 minutes.
- Dice the onions. Mince the garlic.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for 5 to 7 minutes, until tender. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes until lightly browned. Add the ketchup and spices and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add all other ingredients, and throw in the quinoa whenever it is cooked. Simmer for 25 minutes. Serve immediately with toppings. Store leftovers refrigerated for up to 3 days, or frozen for 3 months.
*Totally optional, but stirring in adobo sauce adds another level of complexity. Chipotles in adobo sauce are available in a small can; the chilis are packed with adobo sauce, a purée of tomato, vinegar, garlic, and some other spices. You’ll just add the sauce.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Healthy chili recipe, Chili recipe, Bean chili recipe, Meatless chili recipe, Vegetarian chili recipe, vegan chili recipe