This vibrant spring green soup is everything good about spring! Bright green and fresh, it features green peas, spinach, chives and mint.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- Kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 10 small new potatoes, cut into small cubes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound fresh or frozen English peas
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 to 3 green onions or chives, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Handful mint leaves, chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a medium soup pot over medium heat. Add the cumin, coriander, onion, and a few pinches of salt; saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, celery, potatoes, a pinch of salt, and black pepper to taste, and cook, stirring, for another 5 minutes until fragrant. Add the lemon juice and let it absorb for 1 minute then pour in the vegetable broth or water.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer, and cook, covered, until the potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the peas and greens to the soup and stir until the greens wilt.
- Transfer 1 1/2 cups of the soup to a blender and blend until creamy. Return the blended soup to the pot and stir to combine. Taste and adjust the seasonings as necessary. Serve the soup garnished with chives, fresh mint, and a squeeze of lemon.
Reprinted with permission from Simply Vibrant: All-Day Vegetarian Recipes for Colorful Plant-Based Cooking by Anya Kassoff.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Green Soup, Spring Soup, Green Soup Recipe, Spring Recipe