Packed with red beans and okra, this easy vegetarian gumbo recipe brings New Orleans to your kitchen. With a few swaps, this recipe can be made vegan.
- 2 green peppers
- 2 medium onions
- 3 stalks celery
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups okra
- 2 15-oz cans red kidney beans
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (or vegan Worcestershire or this substitute)
- 3 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons flour
- Rice (for serving)
- Prepare the rice according to the package instructions or use our Instant Pot method.
- Dice 2 green peppers, 2 onions, and 3 stalks of celery and place them in a bowl. Chop 4 cups tomatoes and 4 cups okra. Add them to a second bowl with 2 cans of red kidney beans and 2 cups frozen corn.
- In a third bowl add 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 3 tablespoons Tabasco sauce, 1 teaspoon thyme, 2 teaspoons kosher salt, 2 cups of water and 2 cups of vegetable broth.
- In a large pot, heat 6 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium heat. When the oil is warmed, add 6 tablespoons flour and start stirring. Stir the roux constantly for about 10 minutes, until the color has changed from white, to beige, to dark brown, and the smell is nutty.
- When the roux is ready, add Bowl #1 with the peppers, onion and celery. Stir and sauté until the veggies are tender.
- Add Bowl #2 and Bowl #3 with the remainder of the ingredients. Lower the heat to a simmer and let the flavors meld for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve over rice and add more Tabasco sauce to taste.
To make this recipe vegan, omit the Worcestershire sauce.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegetarian gumbo