This cozy pot pie is perfect as a vegan Christmas dinner recipe! It features hearty vegetables, a gooey sauce, and a flaky sage crust.
For the crust
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1/2 cup refined coconut oil (room temperature)
- 7 tablespoons ice water
For the filling
- 1 large shallot
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans
- About 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 small sweet potato (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 small Yukon gold potato (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 small or 1/2 large red bell pepper
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Make the crust: In a medium bowl, mix all-purpose flour, kosher salt, baking powder, and sage. Measure 1/2 cup of room temperature coconut oil and then drop small blobs of the coconut oil into the flour mixture. Use a pastry blender to cut it into the flour mixture until a coarse meal texture is obtained.
- Sprinkle 7 tablespoons ice water over the flour, mixing gradually with fork until the dough sticks together. Add additional water by the tablespoon until the dough comes together with your hands, but is not sticky (add a bit more water or flour if necessary). Form the dough into a ball and refrigerate in a covered container until the filling is ready, or at least 30 minutes.
- Make the filling: Slice the shallot into rings. Drain and rinse the cannellini beans, shaking them dry. Place a medium skillet over medium-high heat and pour in olive oil until the bottom of the skillet is just covered. Add the shallot and beans to the skillet in a single layer. Cook without stirring for 3 to 4 minutes until the bottoms are browned and crispy, then stir and cook without stirring for another 4 to 5 minutes until crispy and fully browned. Remove from heat and add a pinch of kosher salt.
- Meanwhile, dice the sweet potato and Yukon gold potato into 1/2 inch cubes. Dice the onion. Dice the pepper. Slice the mushrooms.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sweet potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes, onion, pepper, and mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. When tender, reduce the heat to low. Add the spices and flour and stir until the vegetables are coated. Add the vegetable broth, soy sauce, and kosher salt. Stir for about 4 minutes until the broth thickens into a sauce. Remove from the heat and add the crispy beans and shallots. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Pour the filling into a deep dish 9” pie pan or small baking dish, or into several smaller baking dishes.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll it out on a floured surface until it is large enough to cover the pan. Work quickly as the dough is easiest to work with while it’s just come to room temperature. Drape the dough over the pan and remove excess dough. Lightly crimp the edges (it’s a rustic pie, so it doesn’t have to be perfect!). Cut 4 small slits to vent for steam in the center of the crust. In a small bowl, mix a few drops of water with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and lightly brush it over the dough.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden and crispy. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for several minutes before serving.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Christmas
Keywords: Vegan Christmas Dinner Recipes