This delicious vegan french toast recipe features a blend of bananas and almond milk to soak the bread, and caramelized bananas as a topping.
For the french toast:
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or macadamia milk (strained if homemade)
- 1 ripe medium banana
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 slices sandwich bread (whole grain or gluten free, if desired)
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoon coconut oil
For the caramelized bananas:
- 2 medium bananas, thickly sliced on the diagonal
- 1⁄4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons crushed raw pecans
- Pure maple syrup
- Almond butter or peanut butter, optional
Make the french toast:
- Set the oven to its lowest temperature or the “warm” setting.
- To make the French toast, pour the milk, banana, maple syrup, vanilla, chia seeds, cinnamon, and salt into your blender and blast on high for about 30 seconds, until well combined. Pour the mixture into a large shallow baking dish and let rest for about 5 minutes to thicken slightly.
- In batches, place slices of the bread in the baking dish and let soak on one side for 8 to 10 seconds. Flip the slices and let soak for another 8 to 10 seconds, until evenly moistened.
- In a medium skillet (that fits two slices of bread) or on a large griddle (that holds all of the slices) over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons of coconut oil per two slices of bread. (Resist the urge to use less coconut oil, or the bread won’t get crispy.) Add the bread and fry for 4 to 6 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crispy on the edges; you may need to add more coconut oil after you flip the bread. If cooking in batches, transfer the French toast to a lined baking sheet and place in the oven to keep warm, and repeat to fry the remaining bread, adding more coconut oil to cook each batch.
Make the caramelized bananas:
- While the last pieces of toast are cooking, make the caramelized bananas. Combine the banana slices and the coconut sugar in a zipper-lock bag, seal, and shake to coat evenly.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, warm the coconut oil, add the coated bananas and fry for about 2 minutes on each side until nicely caramelized.
- Serve two slices of French toast on each plate, topped with one-quarter of the caramelized bananas and one-quarter of the crushed pecans. If desired, top with almond butter or peanut butter. Pass maple syrup at the table (it’s perfect with a tiny drizzle).
Reprinted with permission from The Perfect Blend by Tess Masters
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan French Toast, French Toast Recipe, Breakfast Recipes, Brunch Recipes, Vegan Brunch Recipes, Vegan Breakfast Recipes