These sweet potato black bean enchiladas are delicious, crowd pleasing and one of our fan favorite best vegetarian dinner recipes!
- 2 medium to large sweet potatoes (3 cups diced)
- 1 red onion
- 15-ounce can black beans (or 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 8 ounces canned diced green chilies (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups salsa verde (or homemade tomatillo salsa)
- 8 ounces Colby jack cheese, shredded
- 8 8-inch whole wheat flour tortillas (or 10 6-inch)
- Sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes. Place them a pot and cover with water; add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, around 12 to 15 minutes.
- Finely dice 1 red onion. Drain and rinse the black beans. Chop 1/4 cup cilantro.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked sweet potato, black beans, red onion, green chilies, 1/2 tablespoon cumin, 1 tablespoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper. Mix to combine.
- Warm the tortillas for a minute in the microwave, or in a pan for a few seconds per side, so that they are flexible. In a large baking dish, spread 1 cup of the salsa verde. Fill each tortilla with a heaping ½ cup scoop of the filling, add 1/4 cup cheese, and roll it up. Place each enchilada seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat for the remaining tortillas. When all enchiladas are in the dish, top with the remaining salsa verde and the remaining cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Serve garnished with sour cream (mixed with a few drops of water to loosen it) and chopped cilantro.
As a time saver, you could cook the sweet potato beforehand, and even prepare the entire filling in advance.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mexican Inspired
Keywords: Sweet potato black bean enchiladas, Enchiladas recipe, Vegetarian Enchiladas, Vegetarian Dinner Ideas, Vegetarian Recipes, Dinner Ideas, Healthy Dinner Ideas