Want to eat real food, but not sure where to start? We’ve got 12 reasons that you should start with a dozen eggs at farmers markets near you.
Want to eat real food, but not sure where to start? We’ve got twelve reasons that say you should start with a visit to your farmer’s market egg vendor. What’s so great about eggs at a farmers market? Keep reading.
Why buy eggs at farmers markets?
There are lots of reasons to buy eggs at farmers markets. While they’re a little bit more expensive, they’re absolutely worth it. Here are a few reasons to buy local eggs:
- Eggs at farmers markets taste better. Because the chickens are typically allowed to graze and are not factory farmed, the taste is noticeably better.
- Eggs at farmers markets are healthier. Chickens raised in local farms receive more humane treatment. They’re exposed to sunlight and live a natural life. Studies have found that these eggs have less cholesterol, contain the right kind of fat and have more vitamins than conventional eggs. (Source)
- Eggs at farmers markets are only marginally more expensive than their industrially-farmed counterparts.
- Eggs at farmers markets help to stimulate your local economy.
Talk to your local egg vendor
Ask the vendor about their chickens, how they are raised, and what they eat. Maybe even invite yourself for a tour of the farm! The benefits of a relationship with the person who grows your food are tangible: for you, the farmer, and your local economy.
For only a dollar or two more, you can buy incredible local eggs — and who knows, maybe a dozen eggs will lead you into a whole world of locally grown and sustainably-raised foods!
If you live in Indianapolis, we highly recommend the eggs from Mandy at Schact Farms. You can find her at the Indy Winter Farmer’s Market and Broad Ripple Farmer’s Market. But get there early, she sells out quick!
Looking for egg recipes?
Once you get eggs at farmers markets, there are so many delicious ways to use them! Here are some of our favorites:
- Ricotta Scrambled Egg and Asparagus Tacos
- Radish and Egg Salad Sandwiches
- Parmesan Herb Baked Eggs
- Whole Wheat Chive Waffles with Poached Egg
- Healthy Rice Bowl with Kale, Red Pepper and Egg
- Best Scrambled Eggs Recipe
- Spicy Avocado Egg Stacks
- Italian Spinach and Egg “Stracciatella” Soup
- Perfect Hardboiled Eggs
- Smoky Deviled Eggs