A vegan and gluten-free main dish, these buddha bowls feature raw falafel that are quick and simple (made without a dehydrator) and a tahini dressing.
For the raw falafel*
- 1 cup sunflower seeds (plus 1/4 cup if needed)
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion or shallot
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 handfuls cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper
For the dressing
For the buddha bowls
- 12 cups mixed baby salad greens
- 2 rainbow carrots
- 3 to 4 radishes (or Pickled Radishes)
- 1 beet
- Soak 1 cup of the sunflower seeds for 15 minutes, then drain. While soaking, mince the onion and garlic. In a food processor, blend the sunflower seeds until they form a paste, stopping and scraping the bowl often, until crumbly and paste-like. To the bowl of the food processor, add the onion, garlic, cilantro, coriander, cumin, tahini, lemon juice, kosher salt, and a few grinds of black pepper. Blend until uniformly chopped and the mixture is sticky. If necessary, add additional raw sunflower seeds (2 to 4 tablespoons) and pulse until the raw seeds are roughly chopped and the mixture becomes sticky and formable. If the dough is too dry, add water 1/2 teaspoon at a time. Form the mixture into 14 to 16 balls, each about 1 inch in diameter.
- Make the Best Lemon Tahini Sauce. Reserve extra dressing for later use; it keeps for about 1 month in a sealed container in the refrigerator (bring the dressing to room temperature before serving).
- Shred the carrots, or peel them into ribbons. Wash the beets and carefully peel them (the red juice stains easily!). Shred the beet in a food processor (preferred) or a box grater (the messy way)
- To serve, place the greens in shallow bowls. Top with falafel and vegetables, and drizzle with dressing.
*Note: The falafel recipe is easy to double, so consider making double the amount of falafel and saving leftovers in the refrigerator. The dressing is a substantial portion and may be enough for 8 servings.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: Falafel, Raw Falafel, Buddha Bowl, Nourish Bowl, Vegan, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Tahini Sauce