This Moroccan stew with chickpeas and sweet potatoes is an easy plant based dinner recipe: it’s incredibly flavorful featuring a blend of Moroccan spices.
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 1 ¾ pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained (or 1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 3 cups spinach
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 1 lemon, for garnish
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, for garnish
- Make the quinoa using the stovetop method or Instant Pot method.
- Dice the onion and mince 3 cloves garlic. Chop the sweet potatoes into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Saute the onion for about 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and saute about 1 minute.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, ½ teaspoon ground coriander, ½ teaspoon turmeric, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, and 2 pinches cayenne pepper. Stir about 30 seconds, then add diced tomatoes and 2 cups broth.
- Bring to a boil, then add sweet potatoes and drained and rinsed chickpeas. Simmer 25 to 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Stir in 3 cups spinach in the last 2 minutes.
- Serve garnished with chopped cilantro, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and a dollop of Greek yogurt.
Inspired by a combination of Naturally Ella and The Daily Dish
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Moroccan
Keywords: Moroccan Stew, Moroccan Chickpea Stew, Sweet Potatoes, Chickpeas, Stew, Soup, Vegetarian, Vegan, Vegan Stew, Plant Based