This healthy and delicious Mediterranean bowl is filling and easy to make, featuring rice, hummus, pita crisps, and fresh veggies.
- 2 cups brown or white basmati rice, uncooked*
- 2 whole wheat pitas, or purchased pita chips (optional)
- 2 pinches garlic powder
- 1 shallot
- 1 red pepper
- 1 English cucumber
- 8 cups salad greens
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus additional for drizzling
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ cup prepared hummus (storebought or homemade)
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup microgreens
- 1 lemon
- Kosher salt
- Make the basmati rice (or use our Instant Pot method).
- If making homemade pita chips, preheat oven to 350F. Lightly brush each pita with olive oil, then sprinkle with a few pinches kosher salt and a pinch of garlic powder. Cut each pita into 8 wedges with a pizza cutter, then place the wedges on a baking sheet. Bake until browned and crisp, about 15 minutes.
- Thinly slice the shallot (into rings). Thinly slice the red pepper. Slice the cucumber. Chop the parsley. If necessary, wash and dry the salad greens.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, soy sauce, oregano, dill, and thyme.
- To serve, place the greens into bowls and top with the rice, then drizzle the rice with the olive oil mixture. Add a dollop of hummus and sprinkle with paprika. Top with shallot, red pepper, cucumber, microgreens and parsley (if using). To serve, squeeze with lemon wedges (important!), a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of kosher salt.
Inspired by Fresh by Ruth Tal and Jennifer Houston *Recipe timing shown for white rice.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Mediterranean, Rice, Rice Bowl, Bowl Meal, Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten Free, Healthy,