This rice and lentil salad is vibrant, filling, and protein-packed! Make it as a side for a dinner party, or bring it along to a cookout or potluck.
- 1 cup short grain brown or white rice (or 3 cups cooked)
- 1 cup french lentils
- 1 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 large red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Cook the rice according to How to Cook Rice or use the Instant Pot method. Cool the rice to room temperature before making the salad: an easy way to do this is to spread it out onto a baking sheet and place in the freezer for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the French lentils: place 1 cup lentils in a saucepan with 3 cups water. Bring it to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes until tender.
- Dice the tomatoes. Thinly slice onion. Chop the basil.
- Make the dressing: in a medium bowl, whisk together sherry vinegar, mustard, and smoked paprika. Gradually whisk in the olive oil 1 tablespoon at a time until creamy and emulsified.
- In a large bowl, mix the rice, lentils, tomato, onion, and basil with 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Pour on the dressing and mix to combine. Taste, and add additional salt and pepper as desired.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Lentil Salad, Lentil Rice, Lentil Recipes, Summer Salad, Vegetarian Side Dish, Vegan Side Dish, Plant Based, Plant Based Recipes