This curried acorn squash soup is flavorful and cozy, spiced with curry powder, garam masala, and cumin, and drizzled with coconut milk.
- 4 pounds whole acorn squash (or 5 cups squash puree*)
- 2 shallots
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (depending on your spice tolerance)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Fresh cilantro, for the garnish
- Crispy Quinoa (optional), for the garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Roast and puree the acorn squash: Chop each of the acorn squash in half. Using a spoon, scrape out the seeds. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, place the squash on the sheet and drizzle with olive oil on the cut sides, then sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Turn cut side down on the sheet and roast until tender, about 35 to 40 minutes. When the squash is done and cool enough to handle, remove the flesh from the skin. Then use an immersion blender, blender or food processor to puree it. Measure out 5 cups.
- Mince the shallots. In a large stockpot, add the olive oil. Add the shallots and sauté 2 to 3 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the curry powder, garam masala, cumin, and cayenne to coat the shallots. Then add the squash puree (5 cups), vegetable broth and kosher salt. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup coconut milk. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Serve with chopped fresh cilantro, a drizzle of extra coconut milk, and optional Crispy Quinoa.
*You could also substitute roasted and pureed sweet potato for the squash here; we haven’t tried it but it would likely be just as tasty.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian Inspired
Keywords: Acorn Squash Soup, Curried Squash Soup, Soup Recipes, Curry Soup, Squash Soup Recipe, Vegetarian Soup Recipes, Vegan Soup Recipes