Here’s how to make oatmeal! This master recipe makes rolled oats with the best chewy texture. It’s the ideal healthy breakfast!
- 1 tablespoon salted butter (coconut oil for vegan)
- 2 cups Old Fashioned rolled oats (do not use instant oats or steel cut oats)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk, plus more for serving (non-dairy milk for vegan)
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the oats and toast for about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often, until fragrant.
- Add the salt and cinnamon. Turn the heat to low and carefully pour in the water and milk, stirring. Cover and cook for 5 minutes until tender, then remove from the heat. Serve immediately for a chunky texture, or stir in another 1/2 cup milk for a creamier body. The texture is intentionally chewy (not gloppy or soggy!). Top with desired toppings and serve.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Oatmeal, How to make oatmeal