A quick weeknight meal, this healthy pita pizza with goat cheese and tomato is as simple as it is tasty, with creamy cheese and juicy heirloom tomatoes.
- 4 whole wheat pitas
- 1 small red onion
- Handful thyme sprigs
- 1 pound tomatoes (heirloom or multi-colored, if desired)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Olive oil (optional)
- Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 450°F.
- Place pita directly on the oven grate and pre-bake 3 minutes per side, then flip and bake another 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the red onion. Roughly chop the thyme. Using a serrated knife, thinly slice the tomatoes.
- When the pitas are crisp, remove them from the oven. The top each with 1/2 cup mozzarella, then tomatoes, onions, and thyme leaves. Add dollops of goat cheese. Sprinkle liberally with kosher salt, especially the tomatoes. If desired, drizzle with olive oil. Bake until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, cut into wedges, and serve.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Healthy pita pizza, Pita Pizza Recipe, Heirloom Tomatoes, Goat Cheese Recipes, Easy Dinner Recipes, Fast Dinner Recipes