The most delicious focaccia bread is homemade herb focaccia bread! This recipe features garlic and herbs with the crunchy focaccia bread crust.
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (we used rosemary and basil)
- Kosher or sea salt
- 10 x 15-inch baking pan (jelly roll pan)
- In a bowl, mix the warm water and dry yeast. Let stand for about 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or food processor), add the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, the yeast mixture, kosher salt, 1/4 cup olive oil, and the sugar. Stir the mixture together a bit using the dough hook from your mixer to start the mixture. Attach the dough hook, and then start to mix the dough on a low speed for about 12 minutes, slowly adding about 1/2 cup all purpose flour as the dough mixes, until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the bowl. (Alternatively, you can knead the dough by hand on a floured surface for about 10 minutes, adding the additional flour in the same way to get the dough to a smooth and elastic consistency.)
- Turn the mixture out into an oiled bowl. Cover with a towel, and wait about 1 1/2 hours, until it has doubled in size.
- Coat a 10 x 15-inch baking pan (jelly roll pan) with about 1 tablespoon oil. Punch down the dough, then knead it into a ball. Using your fingertips, spread the dough into the baking sheet. Let it rise for about 30 minutes in the pan until puffy.
- While you wait, preheat the oven to 475°F. Mince the garlic and chop the fresh herbs.
- After 30 minutes, drizzle the bread with 2 tablespoons olive oil, sprinkle with minced garlic and herbs and several pinches of kosher or sea salt. Using your knuckle, make small indentations across the top of the bread, about 1/2 inch deep and about 1/2 inch apart.
- Bake until golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Focaccia Bread, Homemade Focaccia Bread, herb focaccia bread