Here’s a quick and easy dinner recipe: gemelli pasta with fire roasted tomatoes and feta! It’s full of flavor despite the 30-minute cook time.
- 1 pound gemelli pasta (or other short cut pasta such as penne, fusilli, rotini, cavatappi, or rigatoni)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, plus additional leaves for a garnish if desired
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 28-ounce can Muir Glen Organic fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 15-ounce can Great Northern white beans
- 4 to 6 ounces feta crumbles
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves, packed (and chopped roughly if the leaves are large)
- Fresh ground pepper
- In a large pot, bring 6 quarts of water to a boil with 1 tablespoon kosher salt. Boil the pasta according to the package instructions. When al dente, drain the pasta, return it to the pot, and mix it with a glug of olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Mince the garlic. Chop the basil; if desired, thinly slice any remaining leaves and reserve them for a garnish.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, basil and red pepper flakes and saute for 30 to 45 seconds until fragrant. Add the tomatoes, onion powder, garlic powder, and kosher salt. Bring to a simmer, cover, and gently simmer for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse the white beans, then stir them into the tomato sauce in the last 5 minutes.
- Once the pasta and sauce are done, pour the sauce into the pot with the pasta, add the spinach, and stir constantly until the spinach is wilted. Add 1/2 cup of the feta crumbles and fresh ground pepper, then taste and add additional kosher salt as desired. To serve, garnish generously with feta crumbles, and top with fresh basil if desired.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Gemelli pasta, Recipes with Gemelli pasta, Pasta Recipes, Fire Roasted Tomatoes, Feta Cheese, Quick Dinner Recipes,