Healthy Dinner Ideas
At A Couple Cooks, we create artfully simple, delicious healthy dinner ideas for your everyday table. Most of our dinner recipes are vegetarian or vegan recipes made with accessible, whole food ingredients. We think dinner can be creative and beautiful, yet at the same time simple enough to get on your table.
Favorite Easy Healthy Dinner Ideas
Most of our healthy ideas feature vegetables and whole food ingredients at the center of the plate. Here are a few of our most popular concepts for easy healthy dinner ideas:
- Tacos are always a hit! To keep them healthy, we fill them with vegetables and veggie-based proteins like lentils and beans.
- Healthy soups like simple vegetarian ramen make for a healthy dinner ideas.
- Stuffed peppers, squash or sweet potatoes are a colorful and delicious healthy dinner idea.
- Simple pastas with lots of veggies help to get a healthy dinner on the table in a flash.
- Curries and stews like our mesir wat are flavorful healthy dinner recipes, full of vegetable protein and big flavor.
More Dinner Ideas
It can be difficult coming up with new ideas for healthy dinners. This page has hundreds of seasonal dinner ideas that will satisfy you and your family!
Looking for more? We literally wrote the book on easy dinner ideas! Everyone asks us how to make healthy home cooking easy and accessible. Pretty Simple Cooking is all about solving that problem!
All Healthy Dinner Recipes
Healthy dinner ideas from a couple who cooks
As a newly married couple, we knew nothing about how to cook healthy dinner recipes. Absolutely nothing. Back then, we subsisted on frozen meals and fast food. But in our first year of marriage, we decided we wanted to learn to cook together.
After over 11 years, we’re still cooking together! Over time, we learned the word healthy was not a bad word. Healthy didn’t mean tasteless. In fact, most of the healthy dinner ideas we cooked together tasted way better than the processed ones we were used to!
We started the A Couple Cooks website to share the healthy dinner ideas we were cooking up in our kitchen. Inspired by Michael Pollan’s mantra Eat food, not too much, mostly plants, we started cooking many vegetarian and vegan recipes. We found eating more vegetables could be creative and tasty at the same time.
Need healthy dinner ideas? Try our cookbook
Since our passion is easy healthy dinner ideas, we decided to write a book full of them too! Pretty Simple Cooking is full of our favorite delicious and healthy dinner ideas. Our book was named one of the “best vegetarian cookbooks” by Epicurious and reviewed by everywhere from the Washington Post to Bon Appetit. If you’re looking for a beautiful book with artfully crafted healthy dinner ideas that move vegetables to the center of the plate, this book is for you!
More on the book: Pretty Simple Cooking
What does healthy mean?
There are many definitions of healthy when it comes to eating. Here’s what healthy means to us:
- Veggie packed: Our easy healthy dinner ideas are full of colorful vegetables. Most of our recipes are vegetarian and vegan, with the occasional seafood recipe.
- Olive oil and healthy fats: We typically cook with olive oil, and use healthy fats in our cooking. Overall, our style is fresh and Mediterranean.
- Real food: Processed foods are out! We use as many whole foods as possible in our cooking: meaning food as close to the source as possible with a short ingredients list.
Motivation to eat healthy
Maybe you’re like, “This all sounds good Alex and Sonja, but how do I even get the motivation to eat healthy?”
Good question. One thing we’ve learned about eating healthy is that it’s not a matter of willpower. The reason we’re able to make healthy dinner recipes on a regular basis is that they taste SO GOOD. These healthy dinner recipes are so satisfying that we don’t feel like we’re missing anything. So it’s not about motivation or willpower at all!
Another thing: find a buddy! Maybe you’ve found some delicious easy healthy dinner ideas but it’s still hard to find the energy to make cooking a priority. Find a friend or family member: maybe it’s a spouse, child or good friend! Whatever the case, finding a partner in crime to motivate you when you’re not feeling like making healthy dinner recipes is key to success. After all, the reason we’re able to do it is because we’re A Couple who Cooks!
So what should I make for dinner?
We’re so glad you asked! This is one of our favorite questions because it’s something we’ve made our life’s work.
Fast and Easy Dinner Ideas: Here are some of our favorite easy healthy dinner ideas:
- Chickpea Couscous Bowls with Tahini Sauce
- Loaded Veggie Quesadilla Recipe
- Vegan Italian Pasta Salad
- Everything Bagel Pasta
- Vegan Banh Mi Sandwich
- 5 Minute Romesco Gnocchi Sauce Recipe
- Vegan Banh Mi Sandwich
Everyday Dinner Ideas: Here are some other easy healthy dinner ideas that take up to 45 minutes, but are simple and totally worth the effort:
- Tomato Artichoke Lentil Stew
- Classic Vegetarian Chili
- Moroccan Stew with Chickpeas & Sweet Potatoes
- Thai Style Sweet Potatoes
- Artichoke & Quinoa Vegetarian Enchiladas
- Baked Salmon with Chimichurri Sauce
- Tomato Coconut Cauliflower Curry
More healthy dinner ideas
For more inspiration, here are some healthy dinner recipes from around the web: