This tomato basil soup is so easy to make! In under 30 minutes, you have a classic plant based soup with a rich basil flavor.
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup basil leaves, loosely packed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 28-ounce can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes (with basil, if available)
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Garnish ideas: Thinly sliced basil, a drizzle of olive oil, Homemade Croutons
- Dice the onion and the bell pepper. Mince the garlic. Tear the basil leaves into large pieces.
- In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and red pepper and sauté for about 5 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the white wine vinegar and cook until evaporated.
- Add tomatoes, vegetable broth and salt and bring to a steady simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add the basil and use an immersion blender to puree the soup until creamy (or, transfer it to a standard blender and blend). Serve immediately, refrigerate for up to 5 days, or freeze for several months.*
*As a creamy variation, you could stir in a bit of heavy cream or milk.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Blended
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Tomato Basil Soup, Easy Tomato Basil Soup